About the congress
ZOOLOGY, formerly named the Benelux Congress of Zoology, is an annual zoological meeting, held alternatingly in The Netherlands and Belgium, and is organised by the KNDV or our Belgian sister organization, the Royal Belgian Zoological Society.
The congress includes invited lectures and oral/poster presentations by participants. It is an excellent opportunity for zoology students and young scientists to meet colleagues and to present and discuss the results of their research.
Moreover, the congress gives an overview of the current scientific work at most universities and zoological institutes in Belgium and The Netherlands, and thus provides ample opportunity for establishing contacts for collaboration. The approximately 200 participants range from newly graduated students to senior scientists.
Since 2001 the Distinguished Zoologist Lecture is delivered during the meeting in The Netherlands.
Forthcoming ZOOLOGY congress
Please save the dates: On the 14th and the 15th of December, ZOOLOGY 2018, the upcoming scientific meeting organized by the Royal Belgian Zoological Society, the Royal Dutch Zoological Society and Odyssea Luxembourg, will be held for the first time in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (University of Luxembourg, Campus Belval, Esch-sur-Alzette).
In addition, a workshop on essential skills for young scientists (e.g., networking, paper writing, reviewing, presentation feedback) will be organized on the 13th of December by the Young Zoologists Group of the RBZS.
This year's edition will be the 25th zoology congress that was formerly called the Benelux Congress of Zoology.
The general theme of the meeting will be "Zoology in the Anthropocene". Two special sessions are already planned on this subject:
- "Crossing borders: why and how biologists and climatologists must speak together"
- "How animals face global change: plasticity, resilience, adaptation".
As usual, the congress will also welcome all contributions from the field of zoology, from the molecule to the biosphere, including contributions dealing with interactions between zoology and other disciplines. Thematic sessions will be organized depending on received abstracts.
All zoologists, at any stage of their career, are very welcome to participate actively, but young scientists are particularly encouraged to contribute.
Dedicated website available soon! Follow the news on http://rbzs.be/.
Hoping to see you in Luxembourg,
Dr. Pierre Gallego (Odyssea Luxembourg) & Dr. Alain Frantz - MNHN Luxembourg
Scientific committee: Prof. Ellen Decaestecker, Dr. Bruno Frédérich, Marielle Kaashoek, Prof. Jan Kammenga, Dr. Peter Klaren, Dr. Gilles Lepoint, Allison Luger, Dr. Patricia Mergens, Prof. Caroline Nieberling, Marianna Pinzonne.
- ZOOLOGY 2017 - "Genotype-phenotype map: from model systems to ecosystems", 23-24 November 2017, Wageningen (the Netherlands).
- ZOOLOGY 2016 - "Nature Conservation in a Changing World", 15-17 December 2016, Antwerp (Belgium).
- ZOOLOGY 2015 - "Dynamic Ecology and Evolution", 8 - 9 October 2015, Amsterdam (The Netherlands).
- ZOOLOGY 2014 (21st former Benelux Congress of Zoology), 12 - 13 November 2014, Liège (Belgium).
- International Conference on Individual Differences (20th Benelux Congress of Zoology), 1 - 3 November 2013, Groningen (The Netherlands).
- Integrative Biology - From Ecology to Molecules (19th Benelux Congress of Zoology, 19-20 October 2012, Brussels, Belgium).
- Evolution - Brain - Cognition (18th Benelux Congress of Zoology, 2-4 November 2011, Utrecht, The Netherlands).
- Includes the NVG-sponsored symposium "Sexual conflict and behavioural traits: steps towards a mechanistic integration".
- Classic Biology in Modern Times (17th Benelux Congress of Zoology, 22-23 October 2010, Ghent, Belgium)
- Zoology: Shaped by Evolution (16th Benelux Congress of Zoology, 28-30 October 2009, Wageningen, The Netherlands)
- Communication in Animal Biology (15th Benelux Congress of Zoology, 30-31 October 2008, Luik/Liège, Belgium)
- 14th Benelux Congress of Zoology (1-2 November 2007, Amsterdam, The Netherlands).
Integrative Zoology (13th Benelux Congress of Zoology, 27-28 October 2006, Leuven, Belgium)
12th Benelux Congres of Zoology (26-28 October 2005, Wageningen, The Netherlands)
- A selection of papers from the session "Animal Behaviour" of the 12th BCZ, including a preface by the session organiser Joris M. Koene. Published in Animal Biology 56(4)
- A collection of papers written by contributors to the congress, including a preface by two of the organisers Sander Kranenbarg and Johan van Leeuwen. Published in Animal Biology 57(2)
Impacts of Global Climate Change on Animals (11th Benelux Congress of Zoology, 5-6 November 2004, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium)
Causation, Function, Development and Evolution (10th Benelux Congres of Zoology, 7-8 November 2003, Leiden, The Netherlands)
Adaptation and Constraint (9th Benelux Congres of Zoology, 8-9 November 2002, Antwerp, Belgium).
The Animal in Zoology: Tool or Target? (8th Benelux Congres of Zoology, 23-24 November 2001, Nijmegen, The Netherlands)
- Zoology, Back to the Future (7th Benelux Congress of Zoology, 24-25 November 2000, Brussels, Belgium)
- DNA Technology, A Tool for Integrative Zoology (6th Benelux Congress of Zoology, 19-20 November 1999, Utrecht, The Netherlands)
- Phylogeny and Biodiversity (5th Benelux Congress of Zoology, 6-7 November 1998, Ghent, Belgium)
- 4th Benelux Congress of Zoology (14-15 November 1997, Utrecht, The Netherlands)
- 3rd Benelux Congress of Zoology (8-9 November 1996, Namur, Belgium)
- 2nd Benelux Congress of Zoology (16-17 November 1995, Leiden, The Netherlands)
- 1st Benelux Congress of Zoology (4-5 November 1994, Leuven, Belgium)